ADL’s Signature Synagogue Program ignites congregation-wide commitment to raising awareness of and speaking out against antisemitism and hate. This Program creates a unifying initiative for community education and engagement, connecting dozens of New York/New Jersey synagogues under a common goal of fighting antisemitism. Signature Synagogues will have direct access to ADL’s programs, resources and learning opportunities. Each year, your synagogue will partners with ADL to address local issues and develop community strategies to prevent future incidents.
Click here to get more information or register your synagogue.
We are actively recruiting synagogue participants across New York and New Jersey. Click here to see if any synagogues from your area have already joined the Signature Synagogue Program.
Contact David White at email@example.com for more information.
Programs and Activities Involved with Becoming an ADL Signature Synagogue
- Nominate One Community Liaison to Serve as a Synagogue Ambassador to ADL. In addition to synagogue clergy and staff, each synagogue will appoint a congregant or delegation of congregants to serve as the liaisons with ADL. Liaisons will work with ADL staff and provide a community voice in planning meetings throughout the year and encourage participation in Signature Synagogue programming.
- Host an Expert Speaker from ADL. Synagogues enrolled in the program are invited to organize an ADL speaker event to provide detailed insight into ADL’s core areas of work. The event will provide exclusive access to ADL’s experts on extremism, antisemitism, international affairs, cyberhate and more. In the virtual environment, synagogues have access to speaker events hosted by other Signature Synagogues.
- Host at Least One Words to Action (WTA) Workshop. WTA workshops are interactive, discussion-based programs focused on providing youth and young adults with a heightened understanding of historical and contemporary antisemitism. WTA programs are led by trained ADL facilitators, utilize realistic case studies of antisemitic incidents, and include effective tools for taking action. Programs are 1.5 to 2 hours long and customizable for all age groups.WTA programs are currently facilitated virtually.
- Distribute Monthly Resources and Action Items. Through an email newsletter, clergy and staff will receive information about ADL’s efforts while emphasizing ways community members can get involved. Every month will have an “action item” to encourage congregation-wide commitment to fighting antisemitism and hate.
- Participate in Never Is Now 2021. As ADL’s annual national event, Never Is Now is the foremost conference focused on understanding contemporary drivers and dynamics of antisemitism. Each community liaison is encouraged to organize a delegation of members to participate in Never Is Now. Out of an abundance of caution, Never Is Now 2021 will be held virtually from November 7th-9th.
*Program expectations can be customized to fit the unique needs of the synagogue community. Synagogues that participate in this program and organize the programmatic offerings will be formally recognized at ADL New York/New Jersey’s Annual meeting.
Registration and Benefits
Registering for Signature Synagogue Program involves an annual fee of $1,000 to ADL New York/New Jersey. This will cover the cost of all Signature Synagogue programmatic components for one year of participation, including ADL speakers and workshop honoraria. This fee can be underwritten by a member of the congregation or the synagogue. If you are interested in sponsoring a Signature Synagogue, please email David White at firstname.lastname@example.org.